Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Duke News

Little Duke is doing FABULOUS!! I couldn't be happier with him. He's is so darn smart it absolutely amazes me. His ears are healing nicely and he doesn't seemed to be phased by it much at all. He has such a pretty shaped head. He's going to be beautimus with his finished ears. I started working on socializing him with scary objects a few days ago (umbrellas, bikes, strollers, etc). He's doing really great with it. The umbrella has been the hardest for him. He's fine with it as long as it's not over his head & open. He freaked out in the beginning, now he just startles a little when I open it. I need to start him walking on a leash, going up & down steps, walking on uneven surfaces, getting him used to loud noises; Fun stuff like that. It plays a huge role in his fear responses & how he handles things after he's 16 weeks old. The 16 week mark is when they are said to be "hard wired" and anything after that mark can be a bit more difficult to change so it's always best to get them used to as much as possible & teach him how to work through it while he's still really young. I really want to do volunteer work with him like taking him to schools & children's hospitals so he has to be as non-responsive to stimuli as possible. Ty is great at it but they said he "reacts too much". Meaning he got excited & turned around too quickly which could potentially be dangerous. They want to see a dog that will look & be alert but not respond dramatically whether it's fear or excitement. I didn't get Ty when he was a baby so I didn't get to work on all this stuff. Ty was a bundle of nerves & scared of everyone & everything when I got him, so I had my basket full of things to work on with him..... but I digress. So, back to Duke. So he's doing really well with everything that's being thrown at him. He goes Monday, 24th, to get the bandages off his head & we get to start the taping process. Then a week later he gets his 2nd round of puppy shots. Puppies have a lot of "stuff" going on in their lives. Okay, well that's it for now. More pictures to come of big Duke-man as an 8 week old!!

No comments: